How does the Liturgy of the Word lead us to the table of the Eucharist?
The goal of this session is for students to learn what resources are available for forming lectors, shaping the homily, and catechizing on God’s Word.
Students will discuss the meanings and uses of “logos,” “word,” “Scripture,” “Bible,” “proclamation,” and “homily” in the context of liturgy.
(after the class has been completed)
- What are the three best things about the Liturgy of the Word in your parish?
- What makes those elements strong?
- What are the three things that most need improvement?
- Write down a concrete next-action you can take to improve each item on your list.
- Download this form, and evaluate the Liturgy of the Word in your parish.
Read (in preparation for Oct. 25)
- Introduction to the Order of Mass, 99-147
- General Instruction on the Roman Missal, 42, 72-90, 281, 295-308, 319-322, 364-365
- Music in Catholic Worship, 46-49, 62
- Norms for the Distribution and Reception of Holy Communion Under Both Kinds, 12-21
- Optional: Mass Without the Consecration .pdf
- Optional: Eucharist and Communion