How do ritual flow, art, architecture, and silence influence and “construct” the liturgy?
The goal of this session is for students to learn the key elements for designing a prayer.
The students will examine the four liturgical arts and explore how they are used to plan a full, conscious, and active liturgy.
(after the class has been completed)
- Describe the ritual flow in your parish’s Sunday liturgy. What flows well? Where is the flow disrupted?
- Write a you-who-do-through prayer.
- Post your prayer or some thoughts about liturgical flow in the online forum.
Read (in preparation for Oct. 18)
- Introduction to the Order of Mass, 29-30, 33-34, 53, 56, 66-98
- Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, 24, 51-53
- General Instruction of the Roman Missal, 28-29, 55-71, 309
- Lectionary for Mass: Introduction, 6-10, 24, 44-48, 66-68
- Fulfilled in Your Hearing, 1-7, 41-43, 47-48, 60-62, 112-115
- OPTIONAL: Lectionary for Mass: Introduction, 73-91